November 27, 2012

Writer's Life (Writers Groups)

 Being a professional writer requires not only writing skill, but just as importantly, self-discipline.  As part of my attempt to become more disciplined (and accountable), I've decided to write a blog at least twice a week about what I did in the past few days that facilitated my writing as well as what got in the way of my writing.  So, here goes!

Belonging to a writers' group provides valuable feedback as well as accountability for those of us who want to become published writers.  My advice for the day?  Beware of writers' groups that only flatter you.  Writers' Digest writes that if you don't go home and cry after having your work critiqued (at least some of the time!), then you need to find a new writers' group.  I bawled my eyes out after receiving quite the criticism of my short story "The Cornfield."  After recovering from my "humiliation," I sat down at my computer and revised the story, taking into account my group's comments.  And--lo and behold--"The Cornfield" got accepted for publication in Blood Moon, an anthology of short stories!

No comments:

Post a Comment